Back Pain? 7 Great Tips For Fighting Back Pain More Effectively
1. When you are about to go to sleep, use a good mattress to avoid aggravating your back pain. Soft mattresses may seem more comfortable but they often do not give the needed support. A mattress with the right firmness will give adequate support, although one that has too much firmness can also cause back stiffness and pain. Try out several different mattresses until you find one that suits your immediate needs.
2. During your waking periods, you must adopt good postures. Many people believe that all back problems stem from mishaps during physical activity. There is some truth to that but more to the point is that the spine does lend support to the rest of the body. That support sometimes fails for no particular reason.
Make sure you sit up straight. Bad posture will put unnecessary strain on your spine. If you do have to sit for a long time at work, make sure you have a comfortable chair to sit in.
3. In the case of breastfeeding mothers, back-pain is a constant accompaniment. The body-position, held by the mother, could easily trigger back pain or spasms. She would be best served by using a comfortable pad to lean on.
4. In the case of pregnant women, some do suffer pain at different times. The ‘load’ that the baby generates in the front of the mother can make the body compensate by leaning backward. This puts a lot of pressure on the lower part of the body. Gently massaging the muscles of the back would lessen the pain and discomfort.
5. If you must carry bags or other such items, you must distribute the weight you carry evenly. If you find yourself carrying things often, such as a handbag or schoolbooks or your laptop, try a backpack that spreads the weight over a wider surface area of your body. By so doing, you will be limiting the pain in the back.
6. It is important to have proper support for your lower back when you do spend a lot of time in an office chair. If the chair doesn’t properly support the lower back area (lumbar region), serious back pain can result. Buy a special pillow to support your lower back area.
7. If you do need to lift heavy objects and do so often, it is very important to follow the one rule of weightlifting: ‘let the lifting be done more with the legs and not with the back’. Use your knees to get leverage and not the back for picking up heavy items
It is always a very good idea during the pain phases to partner with your medical practitioner.
He/she might recommend the following:
Yoga helps to increase muscle flexibility and can stave off injury.
A good massage can ease back pain. Many people suffering from such pain get much benefit from it. It can help to loosen tight muscles helping you to relax and in the process give you relief from pain. Getting a message about once per week can help you to exercise some control over your back pains.
c. Water Therapy
Water therapy is beneficial. Submerging your body in a pool of water will lessen the direct pressure on your body and thus ease your pain.
d. Chiropractic care
Visiting your chiropractor before you experience pain is a must-do activity. Seeing one regularly may help you to fix small issues before they snowball into more serious injuries.
e. Lose weight
Losing weight will ease the burden on your spine. Losing just a few pounds will lessen the strain you put on your back.
Try a heating pad to ease the pain in your back. A hot-water bottle is ideal.
If, with all of your attempts to ease the pain and you fail, your doctor might recommend back surgery. This should only be considered after all other methods have not worked.
Throughout your battles to beat the pain, one thing you must be avoided at all cost. You must never stress over the fact that you are suffering pain, for by so doing, you will only worsen it.
If you do accept the evidence on back pain, you must also accept that it is universal. What I attempted were things you can do to ease the pain. The list is not complete but there will definitely be many of the strategies that will be usable in your search for some relief from your back pain.